Athletic Eligibility Requirements
Athletes in Wilkes County Middle Schools must meet all of the following criteria in order to be athletically eligible to participate in sports.
1. They must have passed 3 of the 4 core courses and PE during the semester prior to athletic competition. Student must meet state and local promotion standards each semester. If an athlete is "academically eligible” or "academically ineligible” at the beginning of any semester, that status is retained throughout the full semester. It is the responsibility of the school principal to check the academic status of each student/athlete enrolled in school at the beginning and close of a semester. Promotion is defined as progressing to the next grade.
NOTE: An athlete becomes eligible or ineligible on the first day of the new semester.
2. Student must be in attendance at least 85% of the previous semester.
That means they could have missed no more than 12 days of school (162 day calendar) during the semester prior to athletic competition.
3. They must be in either the 7th or 8th grade.
4. No student may be eligible to participate at the Middle School level for a period lasting longer than 4 consecutive semesters beginning with the student’s entry into 7th grade.
5. They must live in the school district or be a Board approved out of district student.
6. They cannot reach the age of 15 on or before August 31st.
7. Each student must receive a medical examination each year (365 days) by a duly licensed physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant.
8. A student must be in attendance one-half (1/2) of the school day to attend any after school activity.
9. Student must be in good standing with attendance and make up time before each athletic season. Athletic activities cannot count as make up time.